Saturday, January 10, 2009

January Improvements


Over the years I've experimented with many different types of periodization. Periodization refers to introducing variety into your workouts by means of reps, sets, rest periods, tempo, intensity, super-sets, eccentric training, etc. The variety is contained in "cycles", usually 1-2 months each. At the beginning of each year, I try to develop my calendar.

2009 is different for me. Last year I was staring down the barrel of my 40th birthday. I really wanted to be shredded (see photo). I spent a great deal of time following a competition diet and periodization between heavy lifting and multi set lifting. I neglected my flexibility and the basics of strength.

My first cycle will be to reintroduce over all fitness. I'm incorporating yoga into my weekly routine and focusing on body weight strengths. What does this mean? I'm focusing on excercises that are based on body weight resistance; push ups, pull ups, chin ups, crunches, lunges, plyo and yoga.

My personal goal is to be able to do completely unassisted pull ups. What's your goal?

Don't forget......GO STEELERS .....!

No comments: